What’s needed to view your template
You can view the template in most apps on most devices. The look of the text may vary depending on what you have installed.
What’s needed to edit your template
To edit the template, you need to use this setup:
Fill out the template on your laptop or desktop computer. Both Windows or Mac will work.
ADOBE ACROBAT READER
Use Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download it at https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
The font used in all templates is Garamond. It’s commonly used on both Windows and Mac. If it’s not showing, check the FAQ section.
FAQ – GET ANSWERS HERE
1. Mac users: Why is the text not showing?
Mac users may have to activate the font. These instructions are copied from this post. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8401159
Apple installs the Garamond TrueType collection (.ttc) by default when the operating system is installed. This location is not, however, in the normal search path for fonts.
Click on your Desktop to make Finder active, and then press shift+command+G to open the Go To Folder… dialog. Copy and paste the following into the Go To Folder dialog, and then click GO.
A Finder window will open in the above folder. Locate Garamond.ttc, right-ciick on it, and select the secondary menu item “Copy Garamond.ttc.” Press shift+command+G again, and copy/paste the following, followed by clicking GO again.
This is your local font library. Right-click, and from the secondary menu, select Paste “Garamond.ttc.”
Garamond should now appear on your Outlook font menu. If it doesn’t then reboot, and look again.
2. Windows users: Why do I see dots where the text should be? / Why can’t I save the file?
Until recently, Garamond came installed on all Windows computers. If you have a newish Windows computer, you may have to install the font. It can be downloaded for free here. https://www.fontpalace.com/font-details/Garamond
- Click the button “Download for Windows & Mac”.
- Click the checkbox “I’m not a robot”, if it shows up.
- Click the button “Download Garamond Font”.
- Select “Save file” and press OK.
- Select the downloaded file Garamond.ttf and press enter, to open the file.
- On the top row, click the button Install. It may take a second or two.
3. Mac Users: Why can’t I put in the pictures?
If you are using a Mac, switch to Adobe Acrobat Reader.
4. Can I fill out the template on an iPad?
It is not guaranteed to work, but PDFElement might. https://pdf.wondershare.com/
Happy Ancestor Hunting!